SPOILER ALERT!

Review: The Duke and I by Julia Quinn

The Duke and I (Bridgerton Series #1) -

I loved The Duke and I, but I feel the need to quantify that. For one, I absolutely understand why this is a polarizing book. The first three quarters are a relatively light, genteel HR with a spunky but sweetly innocent heroine falling in love with her brother's best friend.

And then there's spousal rape.

I honestly had to check the copywrite to make sure this was written in oughts and not the eighties. That's certainly an old school kind of plot twist, one that I wasn't expecting. I'm not going to excuse it; I'm not going to justify it. Daphne's behavior was repulsive. Simon's no angel, but you can't get your drunk, sleeping husband to put a baby he doesn't want in you. No.

However, the characters did seem sorry for both of their actions. They talked about the situation, and while they jumped to forgiveness faster than I would like, it wasn't swept under the rug. The end was a bit overly sentimental, dragged down by the Big Mis, as you would expect. Still, it does take the whole book from, "favorite romance ever!" down to, "really good romance, but..."

So in conclusion:

The bad: NO, DO NOT RAPE YOUR HUSBAND, WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?

The good: Daphne's period-appropriate innocence and her delightfully awkward "talk" with her mother.

So much banter my eyes have turned into badminton birdies like an old Warner Brothers' cartoon.

Violet Bridgerton. (✿ ♥ ‿ ♥ )

Super freaking charming

Seven more siblings to read about!