SPOILER ALERT!

A Feast with Dragons Reread (ADWD 8 - AFFC 11)

Participating in the boiledleather.com AFFC/ADWD combined reread, which puts the books that were split by geographic location back in (loose) chronological order. I'll be updating with thoughts on chapters finished and since this is a reread, may contain spoilers.

I'm still here, trucking along through the monster reread. I took a break over Christmas, but read several chapters during snowpocolypse. Thoughts:

Jon II: - I didn't like the placing of this right after Sam I. They're two points of view for the same conversation, so because the dialogue is the same, I found myself doing a lot of skimming. Still, one of the best chapter ends in the series. I can't get over Jon, Ned's truest son, dishing out Northern justice on the man who cut off his father's head. Unstoppably badass. Cheering.

Even though Ned's his uncle, not his dad. Still awesome.

(show spoiler)

Arya I: This chapter's really in Feast and not Storm? It feels like an eternity has happened between Arya arriving in Bravos and where she ends Dance. This is really just a glimpse at the city and the graveworm scene.Which is cool, but...I don't know. Maybe it's because I'm used to showArya now, but I'd have liked to see some vulnerability when confronted with the literal face of death.

Cersei II: Cersei's insane. Cersei's not the political mastermind she thinks she is. Cersei's desire to fuck over the Tyrell's is leading to her own downfall. It's really frustrating, because I think she does know how to rule. She's let her fear of this prophecy, (and her alcoholism,) blind her. Add a healthy dash of  ego and boom! Alienating loyal courtiers, family, and trusting Qyburn of all people. Ugh. You are walking into your own doom, girl.

Jaime I: This chapter is the basis of one of my favorite theories that will never matter/come up again (Linkphoboic: The Red Viper was poisoning Tywin with Widow's Tears, leading to the whole rotting horror. Tyrion killed a man who was already dying.) It also features more parallels between the Lannister sibs with Jaime repeating, "Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and Moon Boy for all I know," the same way Tyrion obsesses over, "wherever whores go."

His Tyrell scheme is very astute. Cersei and Tyrion write him off, but Jaime's really smart and would be a good political player if anyone ever looked at him for more than his sword hand. (I like that the show portrayed him as dyslexic. Headcannon accepted.)

Brienne II: Dunk's shield!

And Pod breaks my damn heart.

Sansa I: "He is serving me lies as well, Sansa realized." "...sometimes it seemed to her that the Lord Protector was two people as well...And Littlefinger was no friend of hers." Thirteen, terrified, and learning the game at the knee of a master. Your faves could never.

Jon II: ADWD 8