Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles Series #1)

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles Series #1) -

I was highly anticipating Cinder before it came out and I wasn't disappointed. I'm a sucker for fairy tale retellings and this was a highly original take. Cinder is a cyborg living in New Beijing and working as a mechanic for her evil "step-mother". She has two step-sisters, though only one is evil. There's a prince and a ball and a touch of magic. From there, however, it's taken in a really interesting direction and at a lot of points you can forget it's inspired by Cinderella.

As I guessed in my first status update,Cinder is actually the long-thought-dead Princess Selene of the Lunars. I said if this turned out to be true, I would be pretty upset, but I'm not. Maybe because they revealed she was a Lunar pretty early in the book. I did have an issue with some math, though. Cinder believes herself to have been crippled in a hover crash at 11. It's 5 years later, making her 16. Princess Selene "was killed" 13 years ago. Glitches made it clear that she had no memories before the surgeries and that they had recently happened, but Dr. Erlan says Cinder was turned into a cyborg after the nursery burned when she would have been 3. So where are her memories for the 8 years in between? Did Garan remove her memories when he installed her chip? And how did she keep her magic under control for the 8 years before the chip?

My only real issue with the book was an unsatisfying ending. I understand that the book is the first in an ongoing series, but it's really frustrating for a book to pick up speed and mysteries to be revealed and....!