30-Day Book Challenge: Day 9

Guards! Guards!: A Novel of Discworld - Terry Pratchett

Day 09 - Book You Thought You Wouldn't Like But Ended Up Loving

I have a bit of a confession as a fantasy fan. I hated Terry Pratchett.

I tried! Sir Terry's Discworld was one of those defining nerd properties, like Dr. Who, (which I'm also ambivalent towards,) or Hitchhikers Guide. Nerds were very British when I was growing up.

So I tried to read Guards! Guards! as it was my boyfriend's favorite and he was on my ass. Couldn't get through the first chapter. OK, well I prefer female protagonists, so I tried Equal Rites. Which I hated. Then Hogfather, which was fine. Then I read the Moist books, which were actually pretty good. I felt I had the hang of the humor now, so I went back to Guards! Guards! Still nothing.

So a few years went by and my now-husband wants me to try again. I think all readers have a book that they can't accept that others don't/won't like. So we read it together, and you know what? I really enjoyed it, once the dragons showed up. Getting though the set up is still ponderous, but it did pay off.

I'm still not over the moon about the series, they're pretty consistent 3-3.5 star books for me, but I'm glad I finally got through this one.