SPOILER ALERT!

A Feast with Dragons Reread (AFFC 12 - ADWD 16)

Participating in the boiledleather.com AFFC/ADWD combined reread, which puts the books that were split by geographic location back in (loose) chronological order. I'll be updating with thoughts on chapters finished and since this is a reread, may contain spoilers.

The Kraken’s Daughter (Asha I): I love and respect Asha for her fierceness and desire to be the son Balon no longer has, but she should have stayed with her uncle. It was a good deal and smarter than walking into a kingsmoot she isn't going to win. I do give props for putting Tris right in his place. "I'm your queen, not your wife".

Tyrion III: God he's such a little ass in this book. Young Griff is DEFINITELY Ilryo's son. The candied ginger, the feast, the defeated posture. It's the only thing that makes sense.

Davos I: Boring. I remember hating how much of this book is devoted to Stannis. I like Davos, but he's on the wrong side.

Jon III: "Not to say that the wildings mean us harm. Aye, we hacked their gods apart and made them burn the pieces, but we gave them onion soup. What's a god compared to a nice bowl of onion soup?"

Martin's joke was wrong. The last book won't be 1500 pages of descriptions of snow blowing over graves. It will be 1500 pages of descriptions of snow blowing over graves with Dolorous Edd on commentary.

Ruling is hard, part 1.

Daenerys II: Ruling is hard, part 2. :(

Reek I (Theon I): God, this chapter makes me want to vomit. The slow way it's revealed to be Theon, the psychological torture coupled with the physical torture. Nothing has ever been a vile as Ramsay. (I think the show really blew their load on this plot. It works better when you only see the aftermath. And people don't think the Bastard's hot.)

Cersei III: See notes from Cersei II. I wonder whose employ Taena is really in.

The Soiled Knight (Arys): "The women are the strong ones," and this one just played you like a fool.

Bran II: First glimpse at the Children and Bloodraven. That is a nightmarish description and certainly something I don't want for Bran, but I also kind of hope he stays and does something amazing and magical. It would be pretty anticlimactic if after all this, he gives up greenseeing to be Lord of Winterfell.

Tyrion IV: Lemore. Don't be Ashara. Don't be Ashara. Don't be Ashara.

I don't think she can be. Ned would be 37 if he hadn't lost his head and Lemore is 10 years older than that. I still think Brandon was the Stark Ashara was in love with, which still means we're only looking at 39ish. (Assuming similar ages, of course.)

(show spoiler)

Davos II: Still bored. Davos is so sweet, all I want is him to back to Stanny and Steff and Marya.

The Kraken’s Daughter (Asha I): AFFC 12